Relocating with your pet fish is one of the most challenging undertakings because of the logistics of it. Other than dealing with a great amount of household goods, you are also responsible for well-being of your pets during the moving process. Some of them are easy to manage during the move, while others like fishes are extremely delicate and require additional attention and care, and you need to be extra delicate when it comes to handling with your favourite fishes in their water home.
Moving a fish tank is a big responsibility for the home owner, so being a fish keeper you should be properly prepared and informed about the steps that should be taken in order to move your fish tank to another home in a safe and smooth manner.
Here is some necessary steps that you need to undertake so that relocation of your beloved fishes are run accordingly.
Steps for moving your fish
1. First of all decide whether transporting an old fish tank is worthwhile. If you are having a long distance relocation you might to consider all pros and cons and check if buying and setting up the new aquarium will be considerably more expensive than moving the old one. Some people would suggest that selling the old fishes is more appropriate thing to do than moving them across the country. If you eventually decide not to leave your fish tank behind, you will find the folloving steps for moving your fish-tank importante.
2.Get the essential equipment – fish bags, nets, dechlorinator, rubber bands, different containers for transporting water and other content of the aquarium, scoop, wrapping material, air pump, tank cleaning pad,…
3. Do not feed the fish the day you decide to move the tank. Fishes can survive a week or more without food and food may contaminate the quality of the water, so refrain from feeding the fishes while they are in transit period.
4. First move the tank, than the fishes. Remember that it will take around a week until it is safe to put the fish in.
5. If you are moving a fish short-distance, you can transport them in sealed bags filled with water and oxygen.
6. In case the fish will be transported by air, in the cargo area, make sure your fish is professionally packed and secured.
7. Find an accommodation for the fishes while you are moving the tank. Visit your local pet store and find out the general conditions and how much it will cost you to have your fishes taken care of until you are ready to move them to a new place.
8. Switch off the heater approximately a half an hour before you start removing the content of the fish tank.
9. Treat pumps and heaters as any other fragile item and pack them accordingly.
10. Keep the filters damp so as to preserve the friendly bacteria needed for your fishes’ well-being. Keeping as much friendly bacteria as possible is a priority during the long-distance move.
11.Keep filter media wet by packing it in a bag or container with the tank water and air.
12. Drain the aquarium and put aquarium plants inside plastic seal bags in order to keep them fresh during the move.
13. The ornaments should be transported in a sealed bag filled with a bit of water from the tank in order to preserve the beneficial bacteria.
14. Clean the aquarium and the ornaments only with water.
15. Use bubble wrap and any cushioning material to wrap each side of the aquarium and protect it properly. Remember to put the label “Fragile” on your wrapped aquarium.
16. When trying to catch the fish, do not chase it with a net, since it will cause additional stress and possible injury for the fish.
17. Once the aquarium is set up at your destination place, make sure you don’t introduce any major changes for some time. Do not feed the fishes excessively during the first couple of days and postpone any tank maintenance for some time. Also, it will take at least up to one month until the tank is ready to accommodate new fishes. You need to asquire the process of accommodation to your fishes.
Intermove wish you and your pets a long and prosper life.