When you are moving to your dream home, you should take the right steps to protect your investments. Appliances may be some of the most expensive items you own. In preparing large appliances for a move, it is important that they be clean and dry to avoid the build up of mildew and mold. Here’s some usefull tips to pack large appliances in a smart and safe manner.
Prepare checklist to move large appliances safely
Clean and dry it thoroughly. Disconnect and drain the hoses. Leave the door open for a few days prior to the move. Wrap dry hoses in towels and packing paper and place inside the dishwasher.
Clean and dry it thoroughly. Disconnect and drain the hoses.
- Wrap metal connector ends of hoses in a towel and place inside the washer.
- Secure the tub following the manufacturer’s guidelines to prevent swaying. If you don’t have the manufacturers guidelines, you can purchase a washer kit with a manual that provides instructions on how to secure the tub by tightening down the tub using screws. If you prefer not to do it yourself, your professional moving estimator can arrange a third party service provider for you.
- Upon arrival to your new home, have the washer installed by a qualified installer.
Before cleaning, unplug or turn off the dryer from electrical power.
- Clean the lint screen.
- Before plugging in your electric dryer at your new residence, have your power supply checked for the correct electrical requirements.
- If you are moving a gas dryer, the appliance should be disconnected and the gas line capped off by a qualified technician. Your professional estimator can make the arrangements for you if you like him to do.
Clean each thoroughly. Grease left on a stovetop will catch dust and dirt, and unfortunately, leave spots on anything that it touches. Detach all removable parts and pack safely in a box, clearly marked with the contents.
- If you are moving a gas range, it must be disconnected prior to movingday by a qualified service technician. The gas line must be properly secured also or it will bee very insecured.
- If you have an electric range, generally no servicing at your present residence is required.
- When arriving at your new residence with your gas range, you will need a qualified gas installer to check your gas supply, connect the gas line, seal any openings, light the pilot and handle any other hook-up requirements.
Dry out refrigerators and freezers, especially those that contain an icemaker and are scheduled to be serviced. Dispose of all perishables in the refrigerator before preparing it for moving.
- Unplug the power cord and wash and dry all removable parts thoroughly.
- Allow the parts, including the interior of the refrigerator and freezer, to dry thoroughly to allow all moisture to evaporate.
- Pack all loose parts including bins and shelves in a secured, approved container.
- Vacuum the condenser or compressor.
- Empty and clean the evaporator pan; allow time for it to dry.
- Before moving, turn off the water and disconnect the water line if you have a cold water dispenser or automatic icemaker.
- Empty the water reservoir.
- If your refrigerator or freezer is an older model, you may have to have the compressor or motor bolted down.
- Have the icemaker and water dispenser connected to waterline by a professional.
- Know that copper tubing, a shut-off valve and fittings may be required.
Remove any glass trays, wrap and securely pack them in a carton.
- The microwave can either be placed in its original box, if available and still in good shape, or a well-cushioned carton.
- If your microwave is large, ask your moving professional if it can be pad-wrapped on moving day.
- Do not place cardboard in the door opening because it can spring the door during transit.
- Take care not to block the exhaust vent when installing it at your new home.
Intermove moving and relocation services hope that this tips for moving you will found useful and that they will help you in your moving efforts. It,s much easier to hire our team of professionals so that you don,t have to worry about anything, or if you want,t to move for you own we will show you how to pack properly.
Good luck for you and best wishies from our Intermove team.